Sunday, March 11, 2007

McDonald's has a new problem

On sunday, I went to a McDonald's in Astoria. After thinking about what I would do for food class, I came up with a plan. I was determined to demonstrate how the food people were eating was detrimental to their health. On posterboard I wrote "McDonald's Kills You!!!" Then I listed as many health problems as possible that can be linked to consuming a lot of fast food. The list was as follows:
-Obesity
-Heart Disease
-Hypertension
-Heart Attack
-Stroke
-Diabtetes
-Food Poisoning

So, I walked into the store and went to the top floor. I held up the sign and said "McDonald's Kills You" in a louder voice. I walked right up to people and showed them the sign so they could read it. In this 15 minute episode, I sat down next to people and just stared at them. Eventually a worker asked me to leave the premises before he called the manager and I didn't want to cause more trouble. SO I left with a nervous, but satisfied look on my face.

I received various reactions. A few times people kindly or belligerently told me to leave them alone. One person told me that he didn't give a shit what I had to say because it is none of my business and he cursed at me. An elderly woman made me laugh when she told me she had diabetes, for the obvious reason. So I told her that there are so many other places to eat out and cautioned her against eating at McDonald's and she promised me she would stop. A group of young women told me for what purpose was I acting for and I told her that I feel strongly about this subject and I want people to be cognizant of what they eat and know the serious health issues entailed. The women seemed very interested and then left shortly after. SO I guess my day was somewhat successful. It was defintely scary for me to do this alone because I feel more comfortable working with other people.

No comments: